The coming decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization was already going to be of monumental importance. Many were looking toward this decision—expected sometime before the end of June—as the ruling that would possibly overturn Roe v. Wade and send the question of abortion back to the states.
Now, with a draft opinion of the court being leaked, the situation is being thrown into further disarray, and the need for and nature of our engagement become even more important. The ground is shifting, and we need to keep praying until the Court issues this opinion in the coming weeks and it trickles down to the states.
There are aspects of this that are unknown. We don’t know how up to date the draft opinion is. And it is unclear exactly what the current vote breakdown in the case is. However, we do know we need to pray.
- Pray that the Supreme Court justices would be filled with strength and courage and a commitment to upholding the Constitution and defending the unborn. Pray for them by name: Chief Justice John Roberts and justices Clarence Thomas, Stephen Breyer, Samuel Alito, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.
- Proverbs 10:9 “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.”
- Pray that the Supreme Court justices would not be intimidated by this tactic of leaking the draft opinion.
- Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
- Proverbs 28:1 “The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.”
- Pray for the law clerks who will research the case and assist the justices; may they see clearly, truthfully, and write with honesty and integrity.
- Proverbs 12:22 “Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are His delight.”
- Pray that the public discourse and media coverage on the case would be accurate and truthful. We ask God to demolish the lies around this issue and the case.
- Psalm 55:9 “Destroy, O Lord, divide their tongues; for I see violence and strife in the city.”
- Pray that pregnant mothers facing unplanned or challenging pregnancies would receive the counsel, resources, encouragement, and support they need to choose life.
- Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- Pray that fathers would choose life for their unborn children and take responsibility for them. Pray that fathers would support their child's mother when they choose life.
- Psalm 127:3-5 “Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them! He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates.”
- Pray that pregnancy care center workers throughout the nation would have wisdom, compassion, and empathy when interacting with women considering abortion or women who have had an abortion. Pray that these centers would continue to have the means to lend medical, material, and emotional support to these women.
- Galatians 6:9 “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.”
- Ephesians 5:11 “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.”
- Pray that churches and communities would support mothers who choose to parent their children in difficult circumstances. Pray for mothers who choose to make an adoption plan for their child.
- Proverbs 31:8-9 “Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.”
- James 4:17 “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”
- Pray that abortion would end not only in America but also in every nation around the world.
- Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
- Proverbs 6:16-17 “There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him...hands that shed innocent blood.”
- Pray that local, state, and federal lawmakers would advance positions and legislation that protect unborn children and that our nation's courts would uphold these laws.
- Psalm 75:6-7 “For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up, but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another.”
Many around our nation are in the grips of a catastrophic lie—the lie that you need to terminate the life of the unborn in order to have a full life yourself. The reality is that upholding and sacrificing for that unborn life will provide and give life. The vulgarity and raw emotion of those lobbying for abortion are exposing deeper things—the things of the spirit. At the same time this opinion is being leaked, the abortion lobby has announced it will spend $150 million on the mid-term elections. This does not appear to be coincidental, but rather an attack in the spiritual realm—hence the further need to pray.
This leak will certainly put pressure on the Court. While they will look bad if they cave to this pressure, we aren’t guaranteed they will be immune to the pressure. We must pray they stand strong.
Chief Justice Roberts has opened an investigation into the leak, saying “[t]o the extent this betrayal of the confidences of the Court was intended to undermine the integrity of our operations, it will not succeed . . . . The work of the Court will not be affected in any way.””
Despite this statement, we still need to pray! Until the final decision is issued, there is a dangerous opening in the spiritual door that can be wedged apart to weaken the opinion or cause the justices to reverse course.
To pray further for life and human dignity, download the Pro-Life Engagement Prayer Guide.